Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Bless Be The Ties That Bind

Dinner tonight at the Whisenhants. Jim and Elizabeth Whisenhant were great family friends of our in the 50s and 60s and my mom has stayed in touch with them through the years. Jim (Whizzy) died about several years ago - much to early for a man so brimming with life, courage, and joy. Everyone misses him.

Tonight we dined with the Whisenhant family, including Greg who is my age, as well as other luminaries from my childhood, the Butlers and the Schillings. There are very few of our readers who would understand and appreciate the value of renewing those old relationships so I'll keep this brief. For me, it was a chance for an all-grown-up little boy to sit as an adult with the people that I admired as a squirrely little kid. Elizabeth told the grown ups to sit at one table and for the kids to sit at another. What a delight it was to be able to sit at the same table with the Whisenhants, Schillings, and Butlers. Time flies... and I'm not at the kids' table anymore.

And with that, our visit to Fairbanks comes to a close - and our discovery of the rest of this magnificent place begins. Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment